Biodiversity 2-year postdoctoral fellowship in the UBC Biodiversity Research Centre (2023-2025) CLOSED, no longer accepting applications
The UBC Biodiversity Research Centre includes over 80 faculty members with interests in ecology, evolution, systematics, biodiversity and conservation. We invite applications for postdoctoral fellows with a research focus on any area related to biodiversity. Preference will be given to candidates interested in working in a dynamic and diverse research community, and who bring bold ideas, demonstrated research ability, and strong communication skills. The successful candidate will conduct original research on core problems in biodiversity, foster interactions within the Centre, run a seminar series, and organize an annual retreat for local universities (https://ecoevoretreat.wordpress.com/).
Postdoctoral fellows funded by the Biodiversity Research Centre typically interact with several lab groups. Candidates should indicate which labs they want to work with, and are strongly encouraged to contact potential collaborating labs in the Centre to inquire about current and potential research activities.
Starting date: 1 September 2023
Salary: $60,000 per year plus benefits (including extended health and dental coverage)
Research funds: $7,000 per year
Necessary qualifications: Candidates must have obtained, or expect to complete, their doctoral degree no later than September 2023. Individuals also must be within 5 years following the completion of their Ph.D. to be eligible (with allowances for career interruptions due to personal circumstances).
Selection criteria: The search committee will base their assessment on the quality of research accomplishments to date, the novelty and/ or potential impact of the proposed research, and the potential for the candidate to play a leadership role in our community, including maintaining high standards for ethical professional conduct.
To apply, please provide a single pdf that includes:
1. A brief cover letter (no more than 1.5 pages). In your cover letter, please be sure to include a description of how you have contributed to enhancing equity and inclusion in your current institution or in the broader STEM community, and/ or how you plan to support these values within UBC’s biodiversity community.
2. Your curriculum vitae
3. A 1-2 page research statement. The research statement is free form but should include:
- A description of your general interests
- A description of specific projects that you plan to engage in over the postdoc period, including how the work can be facilitated (e.g., funding and infrastructure needs met)
4. The names and contact information for three referees.
Uploading instructions: UPLOAD YOUR MATERIALS AS A SINGLE PDF FILE WHEN ASKED TO SUBMIT YOUR CV. Submit your application online at the UBC Careers webpage posting number: JR10307
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until 11:59pm PST on January 9th, 2023 (but note that in UBC’s system, the posting end date will show as January 10th; this is the date the posting gets removed, and we recognize that this is confusing). All materials must be received by January 9, 2023 at 11:59pm PST to ensure full consideration.
Posting End Date: January 10, 2023.